Friday, March 24, 2023

La Pluie, Le Vent, Le Soleil et le Sacré-- Bayeux, La Pointe du Hoc, Le Mont Saint Michel, Le Menhir de Dol-de-Bretagne et Cancale

 




(Warren) Today we visited Bayeux Cathedral. I was honestly astounded by the magical and beautiful glass planes and stone carvings. I was shocked to the point where I had to sit down for minutes in order to get back on my feet. We explored the buildings, and the stone statues and paintings made it as if I were there. I felt like I could feel the history of the place. Afterwards, we visited the island Mount Saint. Michel. We discovered the Island on our own, and we had some food. We then visited the abbey where the sacred stone where Saint. Michel defeated the devil. As a Christian with some of my Christian friends including Nic, Nathan, and Liam, we really appreciated the history.

Today was a great day, as we were able to explore the Bayeux Cathedral. We woke up and had a quick breakfast, then made our way to the Cathedral. Walking around the marvelous building, we were taken aback by the utter beauty of the architecture. Inside was no different, the various sculptures, colorful mosaics, the catacombs, and the impressive high arching ceilings took our breaths away. Today was truly an amazing day, and we are sad to be departing the wonderful city of Bayeux.(Nicolas) 



Melody: I am currently sopping wet as I sit here writing my blog post. After eating dinner at the hotel room, Natalie, Mimi, and I went to wander around in Cancale, but when Natalie convinced me to go to the dock, it started pouring rain. I can’t really feel my legs, but we went to Mont Saint-Michel today, and that was really cool. It is incredible to see something that was built such a long time ago, and it is eye-opening to hear about the history behind the architecture.  Yesterday night, we had dinner with Charles Shay, and I don’t think that I have met someone with a more interesting life. He has done so much with his life and he has saved so many other lives.


 


After the long bus ride, we finally arrived at the cliffs of Omaha beach, with the hundreds of divots caused by bombs, and the various bunkers. It was surreal to be back at one humanity’s most important battles in history. My friends and I found it hard to fathom what it must’ve felt like to have been a soldier on either side. After this, we came across the marvelous Mount Saint Michel, with its narrow medieval streets, and the wonderful abbey of St. Michael, where we witnessed the incredible gothic architecture and the stone where St. Michael defeated the devil. All in all it was a great day.(Nicolas)



Natalie: After a large dinner filled with dishes of fish and my poor ring that fell in my soup, I lumbered to the hotel room in Cancale to rest. Then, Melody, Mimi, and I walked around the city only to be poured on the by rain. However, we laughed the whole way back with our frozen limbs. Looking back, my favorite moment from today was when we visited the wall with German bunkers. It was incredible to imagine how US soldiers climbed and sacrificed their lives in order to stop German artillery in the war. Although it was a bit sad, the scenery was beautiful and breathtaking. I am looking forward to reuniting with my correspondent in Paris!




Yesterday we met Mr. Charles Shay in Normandy. He is 98 years old but still allowed us to converse (barvarder) with him about his time in the military and experiences in his life. Today we arrived in Brittany but spent most of our time in the bus. Although the ride was long, it was fun and memorable because of the stops along the way. The stops included A big rock, bathroom and most importantly Mont San Michel. Mont San Michel was a breathtaking and fun experience where we explored a castle-like landscape accompanied by lots of food stands/venders. After our adventures we arrived in Brittany, where we ate a delicious dinner and explored the area. (Liam)



The Menhir (Celtic ruin) in Dol-de-Bretagne & our dinner spot


Once upon a time a group of seventeen teenagers boarded an Air Tahiti flight to France and visited the most amazing rock we had all ever seen. There was lush green grass for miles surrounding us and no civilization in sight, making the experience even more amazing. The Celtic rock was about as tall as three average sized people stacked on top of each other and the width of about one hippo that had eaten a big lunch. Some may say that it looked like a random Celtic rock in the middle of nowhere, but for me, an American student who had been in a hot bus for the past couple of days, it was the best thing I had ever seen. Just by looking at it you could tell it was valued by its community, with smaller rocks forming a cozy bed around the base of the Celtic menhir, probably placed by its loved ones, making it seem as though the Celtic rock was truly loved by all, Honestly at first we all hated on the Celtic rock because of the nature of our visit, I had just been awakened and was not in the best of moods to see an ugly Celtic rock, but after a couple days and much reflecting I have realized that we need you appreciate the little things. (Catherine)



1 comment:

Mr Merle said...

Thank you for all the updates, I'm loving reading about your adventures and all the wonderful connections you're making! Profitez bien du reste de votre séjour!