Tuesday, June 6, 2017

First day teaching!

It was a little rough for the first period, but our kids are really starting to acclimate to (and sympathize with) life as teachers. The Rassias Method ® drilling techniques help bring English lessons to life and connect our Poly Assistants d'Anglais with the students at Saint Martin.  --Mme. Leroy


Overall, I came into this teaching experience with an okay attitude but little preparation. Unlike some of the other students, I wasn't free for most of the L periods prior to this trip, and I needed to change groups because of unexpected changes. The only preparation that I was able to do was make flashcards with drawings for the students in the primary classes. The first two classes that I taught were 7th graders, and they were really attentive, so I was able to have a boost of confidence while I was teaching. As for the next 3 classes that I taught, the attentiveness of the students went downhill. The eigth graders intimidated me, and the whole time while I was teaching, I felt like they were judging me. The 6th graders were way too wild, and they wouldn't stop speaking in French even when we told them to more than 5 times. Overall, I feel like the teaching experience can only get better from here, and I will continue to learn from my mistakes. -Chanel



After hours of prepping for our classes, the time had finally come for us to actually start teaching. Upon arriving at the school, I thought we were over prepared, as we dedicated most community times and lots of L periods to work on our lesson plans; however, once we began teaching, it became obvious to my group (and I'm sure to the other groups) that we had only prepared just enough. It was hardest to teach the morning classes because we were just getting into the swing of things, but as the day went on, things went a little bit better. Because we had almost no idea what level of English each grade was at, it was hard to stick to each lesson plan exactly as it was written. This made it difficult to stay confident as teachers, but we were eventually able to figure out worked and what didn't, and I would have to say that the final classes went the smoothest! I can't wait for what the rest of the trip will bring!-Sophie


 








The teaching experience thus far has been very flattering but also very humbling. The French kids, especially the younger ones, have not hesitated to show their excitement for having us at their school. During one of the breaks, a group of sixièmes (sixth graders) gathered around me and asked where I was from. When I told them I was from Los Angeles, they were all blown away. Then we started talking about soccer, and next thing I know, about twelve sixièmes were all telling me about their favorite players and teams. During lunch and throughout the entire day, they always said, "Hello!" or "Bonjour Monsieur!" whenever they saw me. I felt like a celebrity. In the classroom, the kids are very responsive. While they may not always understand what we're saying, they are quick to learn how the drills work. Doing the drills has also proven to be much more enjoyable than I thought they would be, mostly because the students are very enthusiastic and fun! -Matt K



No comments: